Monday, October 1, 2012

ONE STEP AWAY...

I was leaving walmart the other day and was met by a woman who was begging for money.  Her request was because all she wanted was something to eat.  By looking at her I could tell she consumed everything but food.  In that split second that I was thinking that I wasn't about to give her money to support whatever addiction she had, a scary yet true thought crossed my mind.  In my pain, anger, frustration and confusion, I felt one step away from being her.  Where did this woman come from?  What had she lost?  Who had she lost?  What pain was she trying to cure?  What was she running away from?  What thoughts was she trying to erase?  What emotions was she trying to drown?

How many times have I wanted to run away?  MANY MANY TIMES!  How many times did I feel desperate to change my life?  MANY MANY TIMES!  How many times do I want to forget?  TOO MANY TIMES!

I know it is God who is keeping me.  Along with a strong husband and 3 children that need me and that I love deeply...

But I realized...I am ONE STEP AWAY...

This woman was dealing with something the best way she knew how and I couldn't punish her for not being able to cope, so I gave her money without judgement, because many times I feel ONE STEP AWAY...

No comments:

Post a Comment